TX SBOE - District 14
It is my privilege to run for the Texas State Board of Education (SBOE), District 14. I am a Black Republican conservative who is a strong believer in traditional values. As a 3 rd generation college graduate and a 4 th generation entrepreneur, I have learned the value of hard work and dedication.
I hold a BS in Mathematics and a M.Ed. in Math Education; I am near completion of my Ph.D. in Instructional Design.
I am a former high school mathematics teacher who has also taught accounting and business with a focus on entrepreneurship.
As an Executive Director of a local non-profit organization, a Financial Literacy educator, and an At-Risk Specialist with a Central Texas public school district, I have many opportunities to work with young people.
Since arriving in Texas in 2007, I have worked for two public schools, served on executive boards, and am an active community volunteer for the under-served population of Waco.
In my spare time, I enjoy crafting and traveling with my husband and children. My husband and I are devout Christians and lead a marriage ministry at our church.
My desire is to be a strong conservative leader who moves our public schools back-to-the-basics where students focus on facts and deep subject content knowledge rather than on group think and social activism.
When elected, I want to do my part to see that all high-school graduates in Texas are equipped with:
- a strong sense of right and wrong/fact vs. fiction;
- the ability to be independent thinkers who base their decisions upon close analysis of the issues instead of on group think;
- deep foundational knowledge and skills so that they can transition to new vocations and the ever-changing innovations of the future;
- strong academic proficiency which will open many doors of opportunity for them either in college or careers;
- a love and appreciation for America that will cause them to want to contribute to its greatness.
Maria Y. Berry, M.Ed.
Candidate, TX SBOE